Browse Our Site:
Search Mortgage Library:
Types Of Mortgage Loans Mortgage Lender Directory  +  Mortgage Calculators  +  Mortgage (ARM) Indexes Mortgage Market Survey
+ Find The Best Mortgage + Ask A Mortgage Related Question  +  Articles And Publications  +  Mortgage Glossary + Search Mortgage Rates +
Credit Grade Guide Historical Mortgage Index Data  +  Historical Mortgage Rate Data  +  Home Interest Rate Trends

Mortgage-X Forum

Mortgage-X Forum
Mortgage-X Forum
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Option Arm Question
Moderators: Mortgage-X

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   General Questions-> Mortgage Loan FeaturesMessage format

Dr. M
Posted 4/20/2006 4:48 AM (#995)
Subject: Option Arm Question
My question is after I begin making minimum payments on an option arm, is the next months new higher loan balance (which will now be more than I started) used to calculate the interest? For example if my starting loan is 240000 and I make a minimum payment that adds 700 of unpaid interest to my loan balance, will month # 2 interest be calculated off of the new loan balance of 240700 or 240000? I understand fully that the minimum payment remains the same. Thanks.
AppleLeafMtg
Posted 4/26/2006 7:22 PM (#1019 - in reply to #995)
Subject: RE: Option Arm Question
For most option arms the payment will remain the same for one year (all 12 payments) then increase by a maximum of 7.5% for each year thereafter until you hit the fully amortizing payment or deferr too much interest to where the loan will recast. Please reply to this thread if unclear. Thanks.
Alex
Posted 4/27/2006 6:51 PM (#1028 - in reply to #995)
The direct answer to your questions is that the interest is usually calculated monthly on the balance that you owe.

Since the balance was increased by $700, month # 2 interest be calculated off of the new loan balance of $240,700.

Good luck
askforgreg
Posted 8/30/2006 8:40 PM (#1271 - in reply to #995)
[QUOTE]Dr. M - 4/20/2006 1:48 AM

My question is after I begin making minimum payments on an option arm, is the next months new higher loan balance (which will now be more than I started) used to calculate the interest? For example if my starting loan is 240000 and I make a minimum payment that adds 700 of unpaid interest to my loan balance, will month # 2 interest be calculated off of the new loan balance of 240700 or 240000? I understand fully that the minimum payment remains the same. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Different lenders have different guidelines. If it is truly "defered interest" they shouldn't be charging you interest on the defered part should they? But in many situations they don't actually defer the interest and it goes onto your principal balance monthly. You'd have to call whoever you make the payment to to find out for sure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0 © PD9 Software

Mortgage professionals are welcome to participate!
Home  |  For Lenders  |  Contact Us  |  Disclaimer
Mortgage-X is an independent information service and is not affiliated with any lending institution.
Copyright 1998-2009 Mortgage-X.com
All Rights Reserved

(Delete all cookies set by this site)