|Here we provide some helpful tips for moving.
- Don't make your moving plans too tight. Allow for a 5-7 day overlap between closing and moving.
- Find a reliable moving company. Contact several moving companies to get estimates of charges. Interstate moves are usually charged by the weight or the cubic footage of the shipment and local moves are usually charged by the time involved to move the shipment. If you have chosen a mover get a written estimate done by a
representative who came to your house. In this case you will have certain legal protections against the price being jacked up.
- Make sure to collect receipts for moving-related expenses. You may be entitled to a tax deduction.
- Give it at least 2 week before the move when you contact movers. Don't wait for the last minute.
- Make sure the moving company you choose have good recommendations and is clean with the Better Business Bureau. If you are having problems with your mover that you are unable to resolve directly you may wish to file a complaint. Interstate movers are regulated by the Federal Highway
Administration which is part of the Federal Department of Transportation, and local movers are regulated by the State Department of Transportation.
- Don't forget to change your address with the post office and notify your credit card companies and magazines of your address change.
- Make arrangements to transfer your accounts to a new bank. Ask your children's schools to forward transcripts to the new schools. Check with your insurance company to cancel current coverage or transfer coverage to your new home.
Mortgage Lender Directory + Find The Best Mortgage + Search Mortgage Rates